With over 25 years of experience practicing law and a lifetime commitment to the local community, Nancy Holland serves Ward 1 as an accessible and responsive city council member. She brings her commitment to better communication and stronger collaboration to make the City government work more effectively for those it serves.
- Primary Sponsor/Author of Medical Debt Relief Legislation; Housing Safety Legislation; Pro-Pollinator/Native Plants Legislation; and Resolution Declaring Akron a "Gateway City to the CVNP." Delivered qualifying action items for Akron's inclusion in National Wildlife Federation "Monarch Pledge." Committed to continuous expansion of citizen engagement and empowerment, focus on sustainability, and a City that serves its people.
- Sponsor of multiple City Council ordinances supporting Human Rights, Akron as a Welcoming Community, and advocating for kids and families, teachers and our schools, and for a safer, healthier Akron.
- Demonstrated commitment to Public Safety
- Member of Akron City Council Housing, Health & Human Services, Public Service, and Public Utilities and Green Committees; Active participant and Ward 1 Advocate in Valley Master Planning Process
- Additional Public Service: Commissioner, Akron Civil Rights Commission; Board Member, Children’s Services Board of Summit County; Member, Summit County Taskforce on Racism as a Public Health Crisis; Assistant Attorney General, Assistant Chief, Civil Rights Section, Office of the Ohio Attorney General; Civil Rights Attorney, Trial Attorney, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- University of Akron School of Law alumna; former University of Akron Senior Lecturer, Graduate Studies, Arts Administration
- Career attorney and community advocate for kids and families, workplace fairness, small businesses, voting rights, community engagement, and the creation of a safe, healthy, thriving, prosperous Akron for all
In Touch With Our Community
- Accessible and responsive to Ward 1 residents- and the people and needs of the greater community.
- Takes seriously the role of a City Council member, in terms of research, preparation, collaboration, and communication; and I understand how City government works- and how it can work even more effectively, for the people.
- Believes in public engagement, as a key to strong and effective government; and I believe in good communication, as a means to that engagement.
- An Akron native, mom of 3 kids raised in Ward 1; an active volunteer for CYO sports, Firestone cluster PTA, West Hill and Highland Square Neighborhood Organizations (including inaugural Board/committee member for Porch Rock’r); area dance and theatre productions; Sunday School teacher; avid gardener; active participant in grassroots community movements; and a tireless small business booster and advocate
- Founder, Free Akron Yoga and Blue Hen Yoga
- Regional Counsel/ Summit County Organizer, “Ohio Promote the Vote” (statewide voter protection program)
- Attorney at Law; Member, Akron and Ohio Bar Associations
- 4th generation Akronite, business owner, and believer in Akron’s strength, resiliency and potential.
Active in the Community
- “PC”/ Member, Summit County Democratic Central Committee (January 2021 to present)
- 2014 to 2016: Member, Board of Trustees, Highland Square Neighborhood Association
- 2009 to present: Certified Yoga and Meditation Teacher; Director, Blue Hen Yoga; Founder/Director, Free Akron Yoga
- Community Garden Participant/ Let’s Grow Akron
- 2010 to 2015: Volunteer and Program Contributor, Big Love Festival
- Panel Moderator, “We Count 2006” National Election Law Symposium, Cuyahoga Community College (2006)
- Panel Moderator, Voting Rights Seminar, Summit County Progressive Democrats, Akron, OH. (2006)
- 2002-2005: President, Member, Board of Trustees, Fair Housing Contact Service, Inc.; Akron, OH
- 2003-2007: Parish Chancellor, Church of Our Saviour, Episcopal; Akron, OH
Public Service and Professional Experience
- February 2020- present: Commissioner, Akron Civil Rights Commission, Akron, Ohio
- February 2021- present: Member, Summit County Council Special Committee on Racism as a Public Health Crisis
- December 2011- present: Member, Children Services Board of Summit County
- 2017 - 2020: Adjunct Faculty (Senior Lecturer), Graduate Studies, University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- 2004-present: Regional Counsel, “Ohio Promote the Vote” (Voter Protection arm of the Ohio Democratic Party)
- 1996- present: Nancy L. Holland, Attorney at Law, Akron, Ohio
- Office of the Ohio Attorney General, Assistant Attorney General; Assistant Chief, Civil Rights Section, Columbus, Ohio
- MCI Communications, Inc., Washington, D.C., Labor and Employment Attorney, Office of General Counsel
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; Washington, D.C., Trial Attorney, Office of General Counsel; and, Civil Rights Attorney, Office of Review and Appeals
Professional Honors and Activities
- Fellow, Akron Bar Foundation, 2009-present
- Member, Certified Attorney Grievance Committee, Akron Bar Association; Akron, OH.; 2007-2017.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Akron Bar Association; 2008-2011
- Chairperson, Investigative Subcommittee of the Certified Attorney Grievance Committee, Akron Bar Association; Akron, OH
- Chair, 2004-2006
- Vice-Chair, 2002-2003
- Investigator/Committee Member, 2001-2002
- Guest Lecturer, Panelist and Ohio Continuing Legal Education Presenter, 1994-present
- CWA Local 4302, Akron-Canton
- The Matriots
- Summit County Progressive Democrats
- SEIU Local 1
- Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan